CardboxForumsCardbox Talk > "Not recognising format files"

Not recognising format files

I can't seem to load my format files onto Cardbox

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

PeterG

12-Mar-2018 17:19

I run Cardbox through Parallels on an Apple machine via Windows 10. After an update this morning Windows shut down and then restarted. I now cannot load my format files, although I can see them on my C:drive. When I click on File/New Database I can see the two format files, but neither will open. The error message is: "Cardbox cannot create this database file (directory/folder not found)". If I click on File/Open the data bases are not there. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Peter.

bert

12-Mar-2018 19:45

Oh boy, Apple + Windows 10 + W10 update without restart delay after updates... Windows 10 seems a little more secure, but new very dangerous things are added as you experienced.
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps there is on C: a folder "\FOUND". If that folder exists your can find recovered files when the computer started.
Try and rename if a file look like your gone fmt or fil files. Try to open it with notepad or so, so you can see a little content of it ->>>never save...! It's worth a try.
I think your backup will help you better, if there is one...
Regards
Bert

PeterG

13-Mar-2018 10:24

Thanks for getting back so quickly, Bert. I have to have Windows on the Apple because I need Cardbox (it's the data base for a journal I run) - that's the only Windows program I use. I've looked for '\FOUND', but it's not there. It's really frustrating to see the .fmt files (accessed through the c: drive and also on Cardbox's own dropdown menu) and yet not have Cardbox recognise them:-(
I guess I'll have to reload Cardbox from scratch.
Thanks again.
Peter.

PeterG

13-Mar-2018 10:27

Just a thought, but is it possible to cycle backwards in Windows 10 and so access it before the upgrade?
Peter.

bert

13-Mar-2018 11:54

Of course, I understand Apple + W10 ;-). Normally it will work fine. But W10 update is not really a nice dictation. The more, you read a lot of difficulties around it. I do not know in which folder your databases were located. Documents? Then W10 update should leave it untouched. So a roll back, you can give it a try, perhaps. First be convinced there is on that 'machine' on no other place of the fil or fmt's. Be sure first about that before roll back (use Windows search). Perhaps Parallels can connect your Apple local disk as a network connection (like Oracle's Virtual Box?). Then it is stored on the normal HD in stead of the disk op the virtual machine.
Are only your .fil files (databases) still there? The could try to open that file en let Cardbox rebuild a format. Your data then can be saved.
One lesson for us all: back up your databases by copy your .fil + .fmt files. It's so easy!! It's Cardbox.
I hope there is something to save.
Regards
Bert

PeterG

13-Mar-2018 12:18

Hi, Bert. I do have backups of both the format files and the data files, thank goodness. I've rolled Windows back to before the update, but Cardbox still wasn't letting me access the data.
So I think there must be something I am doing wrong in loading the format files and data back on. I copied the format files to the Cardbox folder from my backup and then the data opened. BUT I can't write into any of the pieces of data. So if I try to do a 'Batch Delete' for example the options are greyed out and if I go into one of the fields to change or add to what is there nothing happens. I am now in the very frustrating position of seeing the data and being able to scroll through it, but not being able to do anything with it!!
Help.

PeterG

13-Mar-2018 12:33

Could you give me an idiot's guide to reloading the format and data files?
I have Cardbox on the system and two format files, one for authors (JET2format.FMT) and one for referees Ref.FMT). If I go into the C: drive/Cardbox and delete these two files then I just have Cardbox sitting on the C: drive.

What I have been doing is Copy/Pasting those two files into Cardbox on the C: drive.
Then I try to open them in Cardbox, but no luck.

So this time I Copied and Pasted the two .fil files (JET2format.fil and Ref.fil) and this time they opened, but I can't do anything with them.

I'm obviously doing something wrong!

bert

13-Mar-2018 13:24

1. Check if files not are Read/Only (Explorer).
2. When file is not read only, however your databases are still read only, try in Cardbox Tools, Management, Rebuild, follow the wizzard. Will not harm your db. There is made a copy before action will be done. Database file is copied to databasename.old
Regards
Bert

PeterG

13-Mar-2018 14:14

Thanks, Bert. I've just tried to go to rebuild, but the next two options are greyed out. It certainly looks as if the files are Read Only. Why would they be Read Only?

I'm thinking that I need to reload everything from scratch. That is, delete the format files in the Cardbox directory, coy/paste them in from my backup and then load in the two data files - if it will let me do that!

Peter.

bert

13-Mar-2018 14:50

Perhaps best thing to do
Regards
Bert

PeterG

14-Mar-2018 11:45

Hi, Bert. I've just wiped Cardbox off the system then reloaded it. I added the 2 format files (copied them into the Cardbox directory). If I leave my usb stick in then I can run the 2 data base files without a problem (though it's quite slow). If I copy the two data base files (.fil) to the Cardbox directory then they become read only. I've checked the two files' properties and 'Read Only is unchecked.

So why can't I run the two data files from the computer?

Peter

PeterG

14-Mar-2018 12:46

I've spent the last two hours or so (and most of yesterday) trying to access my data bases in Cardbox from my backups. Finally it works without running very slowly off my USB backup. For anyone else who might have this problem my mistake was to copy the format and data files into the Cardbox directory. Bert had suggested I look in Apple's Documents folder for the two databases (the .fil) and they weren't there But his suggestion gave me the idea of putting the two format files and their associated databases into the Documents directory. IT NOW WORKS!!

Many thanks, Bert.

Peter

bert

14-Mar-2018 13:14

For local/personal use of a Cardbox database is Documents a right location. That folder contains also a Cardbox folder. Also that is good location. The Cardbox program folder is normally not a right location for databases. In that folder is also a Sample folder: the location for the sample databases of Cardbox. In that folder any database (also added databases) is read-only. Perhaps...?
Good to hear it's working again. The lesson: make a copy of your fmt+fil as much as needed. An USB stick does not cost a capital.

PeterG

14-Mar-2018 15:50

It is running a little slowly though. Should Cardbox (the programme itself) have been loaded into Documents? I loaded it into the Windows c:drive Program Files (x86), so perhaps that is why it is running slowly?

Yes, backups are essential (I have Time Machine, plus Carbon Copy Cloner for Apple on separate drives, plus the USB for Cardbox - belt and braces!).

Peter

bert

14-Mar-2018 16:30

The location of the Cardbox program files is normal. So I see no reason to change it.
Perhaps w10 is updating 'in background', that can be an (invisible) reason for slowing up a less or more poor machine.
And your W10 runs on a machine in a machine. Has Windows enough memory? 4 GB is needed for a little performance.
Regards
Bert

PeterG

14-Mar-2018 16:38

Thanks, Bert.

It's quite a high spec machine with plenty of RAM and I've allocated 4GB to the virtual machine. It was running perfectly until this problem. I hope Windows is not going to cause me any further problems, as I have no obvious way to turn off the automatic updates.

I also run Cardbox on my MacBook (for use when I'm away from the main Mac). The setup on there is exactly as I thought it should be on the iMac, with the format and data files lodged within the Cardbox directory - in Windows c:drive Program Files (x86). It's running perfectly there, so why wouldn't it run (except as Read Only) in that directory and why so slow on the iMac?

With regards,

Peter

bert

14-Mar-2018 18:28

The problem is, I do not owe an iMac. So I can only guess why Parallels makes w10 a little difficult.
I think your Program Folder is only accessible by the system. Even an Administrator standard does only read rights in that folder. The more: this folder is not designed for data!
Then: if you do not want unwanted Windows updates (your machine is less or more isolated), you can download and install be OOShutup. This can W10 prevent from curious things of Microsoft, blocking One Drive, blocking updates. No unwanted reboot anymore...!
From time to time you can switch it on, update your system and then activate it again. Freeware. I use it from the start of w10, and it's ok. Do not want damaged files, you see?
Regards
Bert

PeterG

15-Mar-2018 09:47

Good morning, Bert. I had wound Windows back to an earlier version so that I wasn't using the most recent update whenI loaded Cardbox back onto the system. It looks as if you were right and Windows was updating again, but this time my system didn't crash. Cardbox is back to its normal impressive speed.

Thanks for the suggestion re 00Shutup. I'm catching up with work at the moment but will download it as it seems exactly what I need.

Sorry to bother you with another question. Can Cardbox run from the cloud which I could then access on my two computers? My Cardbox manual was printed before the Cloud was invented, so makes no mention of running it off site. I was thinking I might then not need to use Windows on my computers, but just run Cardbox off-site as it were.

With regards,

Peter

bert

15-Mar-2018 12:04

Cloud: several options!
- Only your databases in cloud:
Run on a Linux of Windows Machine in the cloud Cardbox Server. On an Cardbox Client anywhere you can access your databases. I can deliver such a thing, for a reasonable amount.

- Cardbox Client + databases in the cloud:
I run such a thing at Strato. If it is only for Cardbox Client, you can run a simple Windows machine in the cloud. http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/server/virtual . You can go there by MS Remote Desktop (and on Apple there will be an Apple alternative). On any machine you can open that server window. Anywhere Cardbox then...! Using Teamviewer is also possible for such a thing. Test first if this working right.

- Browser approach:
Run on a Windows PRO machine MS IIS (Internet Information Server, MS's webserver) with Classic ASP activated. With fitted pages you can make it as beautiful as you want. A universal example which also to use is on your mobile phone internet browser is on http://stortenbeker.eu/sample. That system can run on any database. Only add a database to Cardbox Server and it is working.

The Cardbox databases are fed by Cardbox Client where in the world, and I can retrieve your data even by your phonebrowser.
Alternative for MS ASP is Cardweb which can run on Linux as well as Windows. Because this system has some typical things, it uses a customization.

So, summarising:
- only db's in cloud -> Linux or Windows Server with Cardbox Server, Cardbox Client local on Windows
- db + client in cloud -> Windows Server in cloud
- Browser read only: Windows or Linux server in cloud, db in cloud
- Browser read/write: MS IIS ASP server in cloud - only by customization. There is not yet a universal tool for this (we are developing)
In all cases: editing of the db's always possible by a (local) Windows machine using Cardbox Client.
I hope this is an answer to your question.
Regards
Bert

PeterG

19-Mar-2018 11:52

Thanks for these suggestions, Bert. If I understand you correctly all these options require at some point Windows and I would like to abandon Windows altogether and remain with just Apple on my system. However, there's no programme as fast as Cardbox for Apple!

I'm still catching up with things, but will load O&OShutup as soon as I can.

Regards,

Peter.

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home