Home

Cardbox Talk

CardboxForumsCardbox Talk > "Using "Drive, Folder name and File name" to open data files."

Using "Drive, Folder name and File name" to open data files.

I am a new user of Cardbox. I have adopted it to store the data I am accruing in a one-name study. Is it possible to enter disc drive, path and file names in a Cardbox data (text) field, or do I need to declare the field under a different format?

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

Capricornxxxi

31-Jan-2018 16:51

I am using Cardbox to store the data in my one-name study. I store data such as copies of BMD certificates (pdf's) and screen shots (screen shots saved as .odt's using LibraOffice) in separate family related folders. Is it possible to quote the drive, path and folder name in a data field and then, at a later date, be able to point to that path and open the file in the same way as one would open a hyperlink? At this point in time I don't want to go to the hassle of creating a local (i.e. not available through the internet) website.

Thanking all in advance

bert

31-Jan-2018 18:20

Hi,
So I understand:
- You make screenshot from a (parts of) a pdf file and you paste and save this screenshot into a odt document
- You paste that screenshot also in Cardbox in an image field
- The odt document you save in a certain folder

Now you want in a separate Cardbox text field make a link to the relevant odt document, so the document is easy to launch in Cardbox.
Right?

LibraOffice only has small (and for me badly documented) possibilities to connect to Cardbox with macros. I ever programmed one macro that opens a new OpenOffice document containing some text of the current Cardbox record). It was hard to get there for me. That's in Word a little more simple.

So I think the filename has to be added by a macro. The macro opens a file dialogue. You click to the right document, the macro places the name in the current Cardbox record on a way you can click on it for launching the document.
That is not a complex macro.

Copy and paste the full path of an odt document is also possible. However, you also have to replace after pasting possible spaces in a path into %20. Also the caption has to be filled with 'file:/'.

But let us first know if I understood you right.

Regards
Bert

Capricornxxxi

1-Feb-2018 11:04

Dear Bert,

Thank you for your response and please accept my apologies for not being as clear as I should have been. You seem to be more or less on the right train of thought. I tried typing in the path to one of the certificates I scanned and saved as a pdf (see next paragraph) but after I had saved the record and returned to it and pointed to the data I wasn't able to open it. Nothing happened, the cursor remained as the 'arrow head' I have it set to. I had hoped that it would change to the 'pointing finger' usually indicating a web link.

I purchase BMD's from the GRO and scan them, saving them as pdf's, e.g. C:\GENEALOGY, DATA SCANS, ETC\QUINEY's\BIRTHS\Arthur James Quiney [47] - Birth - 6-10-1866.pdf. Alternatively I will take a screen shot of part of a page from a parish register that I have found by searching such as FindMyPast and then paste that into a LibraOffice (v 5) 'word' document and save it in the appropriate folder as a .odt file, e.g. C:\......\Baptism entry of Joseph Quiney.odt. (I use LibraOffice because I don't want to purchase MS Office and it (or OpenOffice v 4) provide me with all the word processing and spreadsheet capabilities I currently need.)

My original query related using "C:\GENEALOGY, DATA SCANS, ETC\QUINEY's\BIRTHS\Arthur James Quiney [47] - Birth - 6-10-1866.pdf" in the relevant data reference field as a pointer to the 'primary' data as stored on my computer. (I have also copied and pasted the FindMyPast webpage address for the transcript into the appropriate data field and this, presumably being a web address, can be opened by pointing at it even if I don't have FindMyPast open at that moment.) It would be extremely convenient if I could 'point and open' a file using its Windows Explorer address.

I hope that I have made myself abit clearer. Please also accept my apologies for failing to mention that I am using Windows 10. Though it might not be relevant I am using FireFox v 58.0.1 (64 bit) as my usual browser.

Capricornxxxi

1-Feb-2018 11:12

Thank you very much for your thoughts and help.

I am a very new user and for me programmes such as Cardbox are tools so I am very much someone who is a 'hands-OFF' person when it comes to tinkering with the workings of the software.

If what I hope would be nice to achieve cannot be easily done by a complete novice I will resort to storing the Windows Explorer path in the data field and go to Explorer should I wish to refer to the source data. At least that way the source data will be referred to within my Cardbox database.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Kind regards,
Capricornxxxi

bert

1-Feb-2018 13:16

You can launch a document in Cardbox by entering in a field:
f
ile:/d:\foldername\documentname.ext

However Windows has problems if there are spaces in such a full file name. So to avoid this, you have to replace spaces by %20.
Example:
file:/d:\folder name\document name.ext
must be:
file:/d:\folder%20name\document%20name.ext

You can add on such a way as much as you want filenames enter in field.

If you need only one name in a field you can set ion the caption of that field: file:/. You do not to add before the filename file:/ then.
Read the perfect Cardbox Help for knowing al details about this!
Hope this helps you. Really, it is easier than you think. But.... read a little in the Cardbox Book and use the Help!
Regards
Bert

Capricornxxxi

1-Feb-2018 16:29

Hi bert,

Thank you very much for your help. I will add the '%20' to fill any spaces and go off and look at the manual in greater depth. I must get round to trying to print it off again with a larger font as mine is quite difficult to read.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Capricornxxxi.

Capricornxxxi

2-Feb-2018 11:28

Hi Bert,

Thank you for all your help, you have enabled me to achieve exactly what I was hoping to achieve.

Not only that but as a bi-product of your assistance I have changed the associated path and file name 'protocol' (to use a fancy term) so that things are so much simpler and take up less space aswell.

Again thank you, your input and assistance has been greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Capricornxxxi.

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home