Cardbox Talk

CardboxForumsCardbox Talk > "Help Please"

Help Please

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

Raasay1

14-May-2015 04:22

I'm relatively new to cardbox. How do you put accented letters (grave, acute, umlaut etc) into the fields? I'm a bit of a novice with computers.

Chris H

14-May-2015 05:43

Hi, I use accented letters all the time in my databases. To input ANY letter / character that is not represented on the keyboard use the key combination Alt+(NumPad-NNNN) where NNNN is a number between 32 & 255 sometimes needing a 0 (zero) prefix. Thus Alt+0203 will give you an Ë. I use a small freebee program to print out a character chart to help me find the right numbers but Windows allows one to look them up from a 'special (fonts) menu' which I am not so familiar with. You also need to be aware of how Cardbox treats these characters when Searching etc. (Read about Collating sequences).

bert

14-May-2015 08:54

If you have an US keyboard with the @ above the 2: install in Windows the US International keyboard in Windows.
If you type first " then E , Windows understands: Ë.
You can add it by the international settings (configuration screen) of windwows.
Don't need a list of numbers then...
R.

Raasay1

14-May-2015 10:26

Thanks for the information Chris H and Bert. I use an English keyboard so Bert's suggestion is not able to help me. I'll try the other.

Mary Doyle

14-May-2015 19:58

Hi Raasay1
Let me know if that doesn't work. I have an accents database and a macro to copy accented letters, symbols etc as required. May be a little cumbersome, but quite quick when you get used to it. I find it very handy, as I often need to use foreign languages. I actually draft foreign language emails first in Cardbox as it is more convenient for me. I can send it to you if other solutions don't work.

Mary

Raasay1

17-May-2015 11:11

Hello Chris H,
I've tried the Alt+NNNN but it doesn't seem to work. When I press Alt and a number I just get 'bings' and nothing is accepted. This must go back to the old DOS system for the characters plus the additional ones that came later. Any further suggestions?
Thanks for your time. Richard

Hello Mary Doyle,
I have had no success with Chris H's suggestion.
Are you able to let me have a copy of your accents database, and I could then try that.
Thank you. Richard

bert

17-May-2015 11:29

For most common characters the old DOS ACII code will work:
Pushed Left Alt + nummeric keyboard 137 results in ë.
You can find the codes in Windows Menu Accesories-Special Characters. BTW Ë shows there code 0235 which also works: ë.
Find also codes in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437.
If you need to type characters often, most simple is to buy a simple US Keyboard and tell Windows you use US-International definition.

Raasay1

17-May-2015 14:49

Thanks everybody the 'problem' has now been solved.
As I said I am a bit of a novice with computers and I had not got the numbers lock on.
Once I'd found out how to do that it was easy!

Charles Welling

27-May-2015 18:43

The discussion about this problem has convinced me that absolutely right in using a keyboard with a Dutch layout, although many people ridicule me. My advice is: get hold of one. There's nothing really special about it, except that it has all accents right there, on the keyboard. You can type English, Dutch, German, French, you name it.
It has the advantage over the international US keyboard that the accents are actually on the keys and are not represented by something that vaguely looks like them. Windows supports it.

These characters and sentences:

á à ä â é è ë ê í ì ï î ó ò ö ô ú ù ü û ç ñ ß µ, and also 30°, this is a «quote» for 20 m² of flooring. It costs €25.

were typed without ALT-codes, and without having to substitute one thing for another.

bert

27-May-2015 19:24

You're absolutely right. However, while in the nineties everywhere in offices in The Netherlands this keyboard you could find (when IBM ps2 was dominant), now you I cannot find it any more - except on your desk I understand...

Charles Welling

30-May-2015 09:20

As far as I know Dell has them and so does HP. I own both.
And have a look at Alternate, they sell all kinds of international keyboards.

Aramedia.com sells stickers! They not only have Dutch but even Punjabi, Sanskrit, and Welsh. And a thousand others.
Just stick them on your foreign-languages-ignorant-standard-US-keyboard, change your Windows settings to the Dutch layout and you're done.
And to all Brits: even the Dutch layout recognises your right to have your own currency, so it does not only have the €, but the £ as well :-)

http://aramedia.com/keyboardstickers.htm

Invest $ 12,95 and forget your ALT key.

Charles Welling

30-May-2015 18:39

PS Logitech has them too.

Charles Welling

31-May-2015 18:26

And to complete to whole story: anyone who is interested in trying out or using this most international of all keyboards should be aware that, when Windows is set to the Dutch layout, the right ALT-key is changed into the ALT-GR key (= alternative graphics).
So the left ALT is still the ordinary ALT-key and the right ALT works similar to SHIFT. Some keys have three characters, for instance the "z" is also "Z" with SHIFT, but "«" when combined with ALT-GR (= right ALT).

That's how this keyboard can contain ± 140 characters.

bert

4-Jun-2015 15:14

For typing macro/scripts are these keyboard a tramp...

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home