Control over 'dial' command

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

Satigny

23-Aug-2012 16:58

I wish to have more 'control' over the cardbox macro command 'dial' routine:-

Dial Fields ("TL_W1")

where TL_W1 is a field containing a telephone number.

1) It does work - but the dialogue box of the 'dialer' remains hidden beneath my cardbox database.
2) Can I bring this dialogue box to the foreground so that I can see it?
3) Is there any other (better) dialer program out there that I can call up or is 'dial' a default command?

Thanks

bert

23-Aug-2012 23:30

Hi,

1) Which OS?
2) Why you want to see it? If it works ok in background, or not...?
3) What could be better using another program?

regards
Bert

bert

24-Aug-2012 14:51

If you work with a script then perhaps this free command line utility can result in more control over the dial dialog of Windows.

See http://www.iansharpe.com/phone-dial.php

Regards

Satigny

24-Aug-2012 23:22

Dear Bert,
My OS are Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit).
I want to bring the dialogue window to the foreground because it tells me when to pick up the handset and to hang up.
I actually dial out via a AVM (Fritz!box 7270) router which is TAPI compliant and keeps a record of telephone connections.
An added bonus would be to control if the call went via internet, Skype or fixed line etc.

bert

25-Aug-2012 10:07

Hi,
If I use the dial command in w7 (32 bit pro), the win dialer is on top and it stays on top.
So I think, perhaps later in your script there is something that Cardbox restores on top (and the Win dialer brings to background).

This is really an improvement of W7: App.Activate activates an application, but does not bring it on top any more. Improved away. I think you met here a similar situation.

However: if you add at the end of your script this:

c = "Exact Name of Your Windows Dialer Window"
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
While Not oShell.AppActivate(c)
  WScript.Sleep 100
Wend

It can bring the dialer back op on top.

And Skype: I do not work with it. However I did a small look: in Avanced Options you can check on that a callto: command is executed by Skype.

A simple test in Cardbox did indeed start Skype and it wanted to connect to a (Skype)contact. So if you have a field for your Skype contact name this will work.
Did not test it with numbers - perhaps this will work also.

This script line I tested :
Run "callto:" & Fields("SKYPENAME")

Hope this will help you.
Regards
Bert

Satigny

6-Sep-2012 10:16

Dear Bert,

Thanks for your advice.

But c = "Exact Name of Your Windows Dialer Window" is part of my problem.

Is this just 'dial.exe' or the full path. For the WS OS dial.exe just doesn't show up on a file search as a program - so I don't know where it is (to kill it)! WS OS dial does work the first time - sometimes - then tends to wrongly show the line is engaged - it can't handle multiple lines. I dial out via a Pansonic PBX (so a second line should be free even if the first hasn't been dropped).

To add possible complications I have an additional USB connection from my computer to this extension telephone on the PBX. So there are a number of things that can 'grab' my line - hence my wish for more control - and go directly to my AVM (Fritz!box 7270)router on my network (because it works every time) and bypass my computer 'dialer'.

Alan

bert

6-Sep-2012 11:42

First: the program is not dial.exe but dialer.exe...! "Exact Name of Your Windows Dialer Window" is the name mentioned in the title bar of that window. Not the path+filename.

I do not have experience with Fritz!box and PBX. However, I see that Fritz!box + PBX solutions has their own software.
Search there for look-like functionality as in Windows dialer.exe or Skype (command line parameters!).

If you can send commands from Cardbox like the Skype example, I can imagine there are similar solutions possible with the Fritz!box and/or PBX software.

regards
bert

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home