CardboxForumsCardbox Talk > "Import data"

Import data

From Acces database or Excel/*csv file

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

Germán

1-Dec-2011 00:02

Every row of the Access database or the *xl/*csv file should become new cards in Cardbox and the columns should become items of each card. Every time I create a card manually (copy/paste) I must use the ctrl+d and a new record is created. How can I create all those cards when I use the import function in cardbox?.

bert

1-Dec-2011 10:10

search in Help : import csv and you will see how to do it.
r.
bert

Germán

2-Dec-2011 00:02

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your response. I tested today with 4 rows from a csv file and linked all the columns to the fields of my record in Cardbox but Cardbox imported 5 rows instead o 4 (the first row was the heading of the columns) and copied all the info from the columns into only one field of the card (the last field linked . Let me to test tomorrow at the office with a new csv file without headings but previously manipulated in excel before converting into a csv. I´ll also try to import from my Access database to check if the procedure goes easier. I´ll let you know tomorrow.
I checked in the manual to delete cards in Cardbox but the item delete record from the field Edit becomes inactive when I tried it. Do you have any tip?.
Best,
Germán

bert

2-Dec-2011 10:35

Is delete record dimmed in the database in which you did import the csv file?
(sample databases are treated as read only, so there is a dimmed delete record function right)
The fields header record you can suppress in the csv import wizard. If you forget it, no problem. Delete first record after the import.
r.
bert

Germán

3-Dec-2011 01:15

Yes, the delete function is dimmed in the edit version of the cardbox database.
Thanks for the info about excluding the headings row in the csv file, I had no time today but will test it monday.
Today I tested the import directly from the MS Access database but did not work and in a way was more complex (data link file, server, etc) than using the csv import wizard.
I´ll test monday without the headings row and I´ll let you know. Thanks
Best,
Germán

Germán

7-Dec-2011 00:13

The function delete record is dimmed in the "Edit" and "Read only" versions. The delete record function is not shown in the edit menu when a new record is open in the version "Edit". How can I activate (shaded in the menu) the delete record function?.
Germán

bert

7-Dec-2011 11:26

If you can edit a record, than you also delete a record when you are not editing.
Exception: when you have Cardbox told to do so by a profile.
Further more: RTFM (Read the F.. manual)
r.
bert

Germán

8-Dec-2011 01:06

The delete record function is still not active. Is it any way to deactive the profile which prevents to delete records?.
Mvh.,
Germán

bert

8-Dec-2011 09:09

If you did not add it, you cannot delete it

Germán

17-Dec-2011 15:16

I have about 2000 records to delete and when I try both the delete and the batch delete function menu is not active. Anyone can tell me how to get it active. I do not know if a profile preventing the deleting could be taken?.
Germån.

bert

17-Dec-2011 17:49

If new record, edit record and duplicate record not are dimmed, then is it strange that delete record is dimmed.
How did you build the format of your database? Or is it a copy of another (secured ) database?
Which type of license do you have? Is it a professional or home edition, networkversion etc?

The last thing that could be: damaged db. In taht case try with tools-management-rebuild-database (choose extreme) and later also rebuild format.
I hope that this will help in that case. Normally it does.

regards
bert

cardboss

17-Dec-2011 18:20

Open the Edit menu and move the mouse onto the (inactive) Delete command. Hold it there for a few seconds. What does Cardbox tell you about the reason why the command is not available?

Germán

19-Dec-2011 07:35

I have Cardbox-Version 3.0 (build 4290), Client Edition.
I got this message: "Your user profile does not authorise you to perform this command".
I tried to change the profile from only edit to edit and delete and should type the following password: Redigering + delete but I get the message that is wrong and type again.

Germán

19-Dec-2011 09:26

I have arranged it my IT Dept. has given me the password of the Edit and Delete profile and now I can delete all the records. Thanks for the assistance.

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home