Home

Macros and Programming

CardboxForumsMacros and Programming > "adding client folder to cardbox"

adding client folder to cardbox

is there anyway of setting up a folder on a shared drive which can be added and saved via cardbox

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

carercentresue

15-Aug-2011 20:27

Hi, i am very new to cardbox but think i may need some help, so here goes.
we use cardbox which is placed on a shared drive and 8 users have access. what i would like to be able to do is place a folder on our shared drive but, access it through cardbox. for example if i called the folder clientdocs i would like to be able to store assessments which, we do for our clients. example if i did an assessment for mr bloggs i could store it in the clientdocs folder named as 1025mrblogs 1025 - relating to his cardbox ID. then in cardbox place a link which when pressed will take you automatically to this folder and show all files relating to this client. remember i am new to this kind of database and i hope this post makes sense.
be gentle with me.

bert

15-Aug-2011 22:23

A gentle question to make it a little clear to me:
- You want to save things - which programs?? - and then first find by a query in Cardbox for determine which folder has to be used? Only Word docs or also other files?
And for retrieving: select a name or number in Cardbox and if found, one click brings to to the folder of the items/docs on the share?
Is this the question?
regards
bert

carercentresue

17-Aug-2011 19:09

Hi Bert,

thank you so much for your reply. Yes i think you are on to what i am thinking. The files will be in word or PDF format. I was thinking along the line of something like a hyperlink.
i will of course need to give each document a unique file name so that it can be easily accessed on the shared folder as we have over 3000 clients and each may have a word or PDF attached.

sorry about this Bert but is this any clearer for you.

bert

18-Aug-2011 12:44

I think...
1- Saving a new word doc: That must first open a Cardbox window. You can select then right folder name (or add a new one). After this the macro can continue and can save your doc in the folder which is mentioned in the current Cardbox record.

2- Making PDF: I think you create PDF by printing? If your PDF maker can be scripted, same procedure.

For both are a Word macro's needed. You have with Word macro's full access to Cardbox.
For both options I should add in Word two buttons for these actions.

However, I think this is not direct for beginners. A little experience in Word VBA is needed I think. So I advise you to find someone who will do that for you. I think that will be not very expensive because this is not much work. But for safe working, it has to be done secure.

Then retrieval: easy show the content of folder can be done by a simple macro in Cardbox. It can launch Windows Explorer showing the content of the folder which was on the current record.
regards
bert

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home