Home

Cardbox Talk

CardboxForumsCardbox Talk > "Index field access"

Index field access

Accessing an indexable field in one database from another.

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

Jonny

18-Feb-2010 10:26

Is it possible to access a serachable field from one database via a different database?

I have a database of all my Vinyl/CDs and want to access the album cover art that I have in a different database. I'd like to click on a record in my Vinyl/CD database, and then have a field or button (?) that when pressed, would show the correct cover image from the second database.

I have tried adding an image field to my Vinyl/CD database, and then adding the covers individually. However, when I try to edit the new image field, it only shows me the "full screen" option, and doesn't show the drop-down menu with the "Load file from..." option. The bottom left corner of the database screen shows as "Editing" "Image" "R/O" for some reason?

I have no probelm editing the other fields.

Many thanks in advance.

bert

18-Feb-2010 12:00

Hi,

>>And doesn't show the drop-down menu with the "Load file from..."

give a click with the right mouse button when the cursor is in the imagefield...

>>have a field or button (?) that when pressed, would show the correct cover image from the second database.

Therefore you need "key" values in both databases. In your vinyl/cd bd you need a field that has same value (number of so) that also is in the right record of your cover database. A macro - started with a button - can read the value in your "key" field of cd database and selects it in your cover database.

Regards
Bert

Charles Welling

18-Feb-2010 12:19

As to your question about searching another database: you don't need a macro in this particular case. This kind of searching is built-in, and it is called "relational search". You can read all about it in the Help file (click Help > Content > Index search > Relational searches).

bert

18-Feb-2010 13:24

Relational search is not the most easy part of Cardbox and takes a lot of mouseclicks.

Because in the question a "button" was suggested seems relation search not the most relevant solution.
And it still needs a common value between databases.

Regards
Bert

Mary Doyle

18-Feb-2010 14:35

Hi,

My view is that Jonny's problem would be best solved with a macro. I find relational searches tedious, but useful for one-off exercises. For a regular activity such as that proposed by Jonny I find a macro more convenient.

Best regards,

Mary

Charles Welling

18-Feb-2010 14:36

Please note that a relational search can be recorded into a three-line macro and activated by a button if you please to do so. The rest happens automatically, whereas a selection macro would require continuous activation to refresh the results. That's quite a lot of mouse clicks!

Furthermore I hope you're not suggesting that programming such a selection macro is easier than setting up a simple relational search.

Egbert

18-Feb-2010 15:18

Another NL reply,

I think a relational search is a good option as Charles (NL) mentioned. If you never tried this option then please do so, it's fun. Bert (NL) and Mary (IE) are right that it's not so easy. But once you understand how it works, you can record the steps in a macro and then forget how tedious is was

Egbert

bert

18-Feb-2010 15:44

>> Furthermore I hope you're not suggesting that programming such a selection macro is easier than setting up a simple relational search.

I've seen a lot of people struggling with relational search. It works the best if you have dabases a tiled on your screen so you can see what is happening.
However, often people do not prefer databases tiled on the screen.

That is why I still advise in this type of things: record macro, try to change it after recording.
I am convinced this is not more difficult that setting up a stable relational search (for that are also some
conditions necessary to let it work fine).
Recording such a macro... Perhaps a first step to explore the almost unlimited world of Cardbox macros...!

regards
bert

cardboss

18-Feb-2010 16:48

It will probably be better if you do link the databases rather than copying the images - I'll leave the others to discuss how. But as for the image field being unexpectedly read-only, see the blog at cardbox.wordpress.com for an explanation and a cure.

Jonny

19-Feb-2010 10:00

Hi Eveyone,

Thanks to all for the quick responses and helpful replies, esp. Cardboss for the R/O fix.

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home