Home

Cardbox Talk

CardboxForumsCardbox Talk > "Importing a Database"

Importing a Database

Importing data from one cardbox database to another.

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

Voices4Wellbeing

1-Sep-2009 14:31

Hi,

I have created a new database to replace our old one. Both are created from cardbox. I exported the old one as 'Cardbox Internal Format' and imported it into the new one. It then imported automatically, choosing the fields to put things in. I have two questions:

1) Can I choose which field from the old database in imported into which field on the new database?
2) I have numerous fields where check boxes and radio buttons are checked, can this be imported too?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

bert

1-Sep-2009 15:50

1- Unfortunately is there no "field chooser" for reading a db when dmp format is used. That is one of my wishes for future... However: there is a workaround. Do not export to a dmp file but import a database from another Cardbox Window. The field chooser is then available and also index information is used! In my opinion is this a better way of transferring data. You have full (field) control!

2 - Checkboxes/radiobuttons are only a "look" for a field. I mean, in fact the term of the choosen option is written in the database. If you want a field + properties easy transfer from database a to database b:
- edit format
- copy the field (right mouse click!)
- switch to db b
- edit format
- paste.
If you use ctrl-click you can even copy/paste more than one field. But that you can read in the Windows manual...

Regards
Bert

Voices4Wellbeing

7-Sep-2009 12:56

Sorry, I didn't realise you had replied. I normally get an email notification.

Thank you very much for your help. I shall try those and let you know how I get on.

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home