Home

Macros and Programming

CardboxForumsMacros and Programming > "Problem Exporting Cardbox to Excel"

Problem Exporting Cardbox to Excel

When I try to export cardbox to excel all the information for each record appears on one line.

Current user: [none]
Register / Log In · Help

Posted By Post

fastank

28-Jan-2009 12:13

When I try to export cardbox to excel all the information for each record appears on one line.

I am doing

File
Transfer
Write

Write a comma delineated file

Under the file name a file called versons.txt comes up and I click on it and then ok.

When opening this file in excel everything all the record details are on 1 excel line.

Can you help please

Thanks

Kate

bert

28-Jan-2009 15:36

Which build of Cardbox Client you use?
Which version of Excel - which language?
Regards
Bert

Charles Welling

29-Jan-2009 09:23

Kate, have a look at the following:

If you have given the exported file the extension ".csv" and you double-click it, Excel will open it as if it were an Excel file, and it will look for TABS that seperate the fields.
However, when you export a file from Cardbox, the character used for seperation is the COMMA.

But, when you import the file in an empty Excel sheet instead of opening the file directly, you're asked which character seperates the data: TAB, semicolon, comma etc.
You can import the file using the 'Data' menu in Excel, or change the extension of your exported file to ".txt" and double-click it.

Make sure you select "comma", otherwise Excel will again look for TABS. Excel will now recognise your fields.

fastank

31-Jan-2009 20:38

Hi Bert, we are using Excel 2007 and I am not sure how I find out which Cardbox client I am using?

Kate

bert

31-Jan-2009 21:45

Hi,
You can see which build of Carbox in Help - About.
I ask it because I remember there was a long time ago a bug in Cardbox which did strange things in this area (the bug is - as always - eliminated very quick after discovering).

One question: is one complete record in the first cel (which repeats for every record in first cel below) or are all records in the first cel?

kind regards
bert

Quick Reply

Please log in or register before trying to post a reply.

© 2010 Cardbox Software Limited   Home